Monday, December 21, 2015

"It's expensive" The words we use to describe anything costing over 30 Dong

I wanted to try the Korean restaurant in our building, so I asked my coworkers about it.  I was told, "It is good but it is expensive!"  Well, it was expensive; it was 65,000 dong.  65,000 dong is $2.95.  Can you imagine!  It is very interesting how your point of view changes.  I do not know how I will be able to pay American prices where I return to the states.  To put this in perspective, the place where most of my coworkers and I eat lunch has a menu price of 25,000 Dong.  This includes meat, rice, soup, vegetables, salad and ice tea.  The American dollar is worth 22,000 Dong, so this meal is $1.14. Once in awhile  I decide go to buy a pastry or a smoothie, and find that they cost about the same, so I do not buy them because I can get a whole meal for the same price.

I found out that the smoothies are mostly condensed milk so I no longer drink them anyway.  However the cake is too good to pass up.  It is so light and fluffy as is the icing.  I usually get a slice of berry cake which the baker calls blueberry cake, but it is actually raspberry cake.  I have not corrected him yet.  The English spoken her is British English and for all I know, the British may have switched up the berry names.  Well I am off to watch Star Wars II ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ceased this blog and switched to an new one which tells of my journey through the eyes of my water bottles.  To conclude this blog, we end...