Thursday, December 17, 2015

Black Friday

I haven't been able to post for awhile because my blog switched to the Vietnamese language, but I am back to English.

 My friend Leslie asked me to elaborate on the architeture and culture here. Frankly, I am disappointed.  Other than the tolerance for trash, life in Bien Hoa is not much different than life in the United States.  Since most of Bien Hoa was built in the last decade or so, most of the buildings are very modern.  The building which houses my school and apartment is only 3 years old.  Other than the wall papered walls, it looks just like a modern American high rise, complete with laminate and tiled flooring.  The state of the art movie theater which occupies the 6th floor will be showing Star Wars episode 7 tomorrow.   I will go there as soon as I get up and will post my review before most of you see it.

As far as culture,frankly, I am disappointed.  I was expecting traditional clothing but everyone here wears drab clothing.  Most of the women wear pants, except for us English teachers who mostly wear skirts.  The men wear neutral colored short sleeve button down shirts. The only bright clothes are those worn at preschools where I have seen pink or yellow brightly colored shorts and skirts.  The employees of Vietcom bank wear traditional green long sleeve dresses over white leggins, but it is just too hot to wear the traditional clothes outside. As in Mexico, t'shirts and shorts aren't often worn in public

Oddly enough, most restaurants serve only one item.  You figure out which pho and which sandwich you like, then you go there. Every day I have been looking at this restaurant across from my building named Banh mi, which means sandwich. Pat, Arin and I went there yesterday looking forward to the menu choices but soon discovered that they only make...you got it,one sandwich.  Fortunately it is delicious and costs only 80cents.  Though this restaurant has indoor seating, there is no kitchen or refrigeration.  Like most restaurants, the kitchen consists of an outdoor cart.  Most cart restaurants have outdoor seating only, and the funny thing is that their preferred seating is little short plastic children's tables which are about 18 inches off the ground, accompanied by12 inch plastic stools like the kind that American's use as a step stool.  I end up eating with my knees up to my chin.

I haven't seen any special music or dance, anything like that.  Believe it or not, one of the first  things I saw when I came in November was a 30' Christmas tree and a sign advertising Black Friday sales....

1 comment:

I ceased this blog and switched to an new one which tells of my journey through the eyes of my water bottles.  To conclude this blog, we end...