Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Job search: Asia

I am traveling with my companion, Arin.  He was kind enough to go with me to Mexico, and now it is his turn to choose the country.  He has always been interested in Asia.  South Korea is chosen based on the suggestions of a fellow teacher, Daniel.  Daniel is from England and spent two years teaching in South Korea. He informs us that approximately 90% of Korea children attend English classes so there are plenty of jobs.  He has several fellow countrymen who were hired in the public school system through an organization called ERIC. There are also tons of private schools.  Daniel opted to work in a private school as he did not want to wait for the public school hiring season.  According to Daniel, the students in the public school are much better behaved because English is part of their curriculum whereas those in private school attend classes after the regular school day, sometimes until 9 p.m.  We decide to send an application through ERIC.  ERIC only accepts teachers with credentials, so only I will apply for this program and Arin can find work in a private school once we arrive.

We have downloaded the ERIC application and find that we are against a deadline.  Arin filled out most of the information and I had to write a lesson plan.  I used one of my lesson plans from my 7 year olds class.  Most of my lessons use the language experience approach and this particular lesson involved making a book about a jack-o-lantern who did not want to brush his teeth.  I also have tn make copies of my credential, etc.then scan and send them to ERIC.  Luckily, there are internet cafes all around Oaxaca that cost about 15 cents per hour. We finally get this whole application done and sent in by the deadline.

The DavesESLcafe.com.  On this website, one can find hundreds of job posting.  He has decided to send out 5 requests a a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ceased this blog and switched to an new one which tells of my journey through the eyes of my water bottles.  To conclude this blog, we end...