Tuesday, September 22, 2015

TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate is required by the Chinese government

September  11,2015
Earlier in this blog, I mentioned the TEFL certificate.  I do not know how this whole TEFL craze began, but somehow, some fantastic marketing people have convinced the governments of the world that it is the ultimate in English teaching verification.  So, even though I have an actual teaching credential earned through a state university, it pales in comparison to this online certification, which, as I said earlier, anyone with an 8th grade education could complete, not to mention, one could just pay someone to take it for you, or for that matter, you could probably just issue yourself one since there is no regulation or accreditation.  Anyway, the Chinese government will not issue me a foreign expert visa unless I get this paper.

I have signed up for the same TEFL course that Arin is taking through a Group-on coupon for $39. This particular course is 160 hours. I have completed the first one-fourth of the multiple choice questions in 20 minutes. The vendor has 4 lessons with multiple choice, then an essay.  The essay took 2 hours.  I have submitted it for grading and can not continue until I receive the results.  Now I wait....

I suggest you better just go ahead and get one of these certificates even if you are a credentialed teacher with 30 years of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ceased this blog and switched to an new one which tells of my journey through the eyes of my water bottles.  To conclude this blog, we end...