Wednesday, October 7, 2015

My life in ´´The Cho´´ while I await news from China

The airshow was at Mather Air Force Base this weekend.  This is a yearly event.  I volunteered back in 2011 when I was looking for a husband (I wrote a blog about this and when I find it again, I will post the link) Luckily I do not need to drive to the airport because the planes fly right over my house.  This year, for the first time in my life, I saw a B'52 fly over.  I was surprised at  how low it flew and thought it was going to crash.   I  also experienced some other firsts this weekend.

 We had a big thunder storm one night.  Arin and I were in the kitchen and a roll of thunder crashed right over the house.  It was so strong that the kitchen window madly shook with rage.  I had never seen a window vibrate like that.  Luckily it was not enough of a vibration to crack it.  This event was complimentary to the lightening which struck a metal roof while shopping in a Oaxacan food market, not to mention the earthquake that rocked the 200 year old Oaxacan brick house while I was sleeping (see Oaxaca blog to read more about the lightening, earthquake, teaching, living, and playing bridge in Oaxaca, Mexico)

The other first I experienced this week was also while in the kitchen, I heard a loud screech outside, then saw a cloud of vulcanized rubber float by  my window.  Although I have heard cars burn rubber before, never have I seen a cloud of smoke 10 feet high.  I felt sorry for my neighbor who was walking on the sidewalk and engulfed in rubber fumes for a few seconds.  Later when I went outside, I saw a doughnut in the intersection.  A doughnut is when a car is driven in a tight circle very fast and debris from the tires leave a black circle on the ground.  This is usually done in intersections or large parking lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ceased this blog and switched to an new one which tells of my journey through the eyes of my water bottles.  To conclude this blog, we end...